Thursday, January 3, 2008

Back to School Randomness

Did you ever have a dream that was so vivid and real that it frightened you? Not a nightmare type of thing but a dream that really was just SO REAL. I dreamed last night that an old friend of mine, who I haven't spoken to in a long time, came home and told me he had been diagnosed with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It was strange and so specific. I don't normally dream that way. He came home and he had a little boy and I can even remember the car seat he had his son in in my dream. (He currently does not have any children.)
The dream went by quickly. It went from him coming home and trying to cover it to it being drawn out of him to him telling me that treatments weren't working and that they were trying chemo. (I don't even know if chemo is an option for that type of cancer.) I woke up in the middle of the night thinking, "Oh my God I have to get in touch with him. What if something is really wrong?" The whole dream was scary, not nightmarish but scary, worrisome, so vividly real. I fell back to sleep and then dreamed about my students not turning in their winter break assignments. I got into work this morning and wouldn't you know it, my first period class had a handful of kids who didn't turn in the assignment and are now receiving zeros as test grades for the assignment. Strange dreams. I sometimes feel like I've dreamed something and then I live it. De ja vu type of thing, you know? I'm hoping that my first dream is not indicative of that.
Vacation ended for me this morning. I went back to work. After a restless night and fitful dreams I arose bright and early and made it out the door, late but counting on little to no traffic. I headed straight for Starbucks and lo and behold it was closed! DOH! I completely forgot that it was closing for a move until early Spring. That just sucks, now doesn't it!?!?!
Yesterday was really quite perfect. A great way to end a too fast vacation. I slept in, briefly, and then the kids and I enjoyed the day together. I had things that I wanted to get done. I had things that I wanted to clean and papers I wanted to grade. I wanted to run a few errands and head to Weight Watchers. I had things that needed to get done. Well not really needed but I really wanted to get them done. I decided that instead of rushing all over God's green Earth in close to below freezing temps that we were going to spend the day inside in our pjs. And that's just what we did. The boy was pretty well behaved. The girl slept for close to 3 hours in the morning. We just enjoyed hanging out, playing with Legos, and snuggling on the couch. Around 4 or 4:30 the boy finally conked out on the couch and I was able to get up and clean a bit. The girl sat in the kitchen while I cleaned up the remainder of our New Year's "extravaganza". Dinner was put in the oven and when the husband came home all was calm and well in our house. I didn't spend the day stressing. I was calm and collected when the boy started to act up and I think that really helped to curb his acting out and up. It was just a really good way to end vacation on a high note. Too bad I didn't let it begin that way!
I'm going to see my orthopedic surgeon today. He's actually my surgeon for my shoulder. I have a different one for my knee. I've known my knee surgeon since I was about 14. I love him. He jokes that my injuries have put his son through medical school AND law school. I don't think he's kidding.
I really like my "new" surgeon. He specializes in shoulders. His mom went to my college. He is from the same town that my best friend is from. And he is HOT! Oh and he's a good doctor....really good. As much as I'm not so sure I want the results from my procedure last week, I am "happy" to be going to the doctor. It's nice way to end the day....
We folded all of our laundry last night and changed the sheets on our bed and I felt the biggest sense of accomplishment! It's like I have an entirely new wardrobe now!! I can even see the hope chest that my bridesmaids gave me for our wedding that sits at the end of our bed. It's normally covered in clothing. I can't wait to get home and get into bed and read and relax tonight! Tomorrow's Friday! YES!
I woke up to my son in bed with us this morning. He probably arrived sometime after my crazy scary dream. After my shower I was getting dressed, in the dark of our bedroom, and our son was tossing and turning. He was fast asleep. I'm not sure what he was dreaming about but it involved his sister because he started yelling at her in his sleep. She must've been playing with his toys. I couldn't help but laugh.
It's really not so bad being back at work. I had two paychecks waiting for me....I'm sorry, waiting for me to deposit them and pay our bills. I had a bunch of cards from my co workers wishing me a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. And I had a classroom that feels like a SAUNA. Maybe I don't need to do any activity points today...I can just sweat while I teach. At this rate, I'm going to need to shower before I leave to see the ortho!!
Tomorrow's Friday, I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune next week!!
So far, 2008 has been pretty good. It's gearing up to be a great year. I'm excited for this fresh new start. I'm excited to regain some of myself this year and really take control of my weight and health. I'm excited to plan 3rd and 1st birthday parties. I'm looking forward to starting a new semester of grad school. I'm excited at the prospect of a whole new year of possibilities and dreams (maybe not such "scary" ones!) and hopes. If it's half as good as yesterday, than I'll be quite the happy woman!


OHmommy said...

A hot doctor? Sweet!

A day in PJs? Awesome!

Folded laundry? Congrats!

Two paychecks? Wow, what is that like?

I love your random thoughts. i really do! Have a good one.

LunaNik said...

a dear friend of mine who I lost touch with had a very disturbing dream about me a little more than a year ago. the dream prompted her to call me. as it turns out, we were going thru a very similar situation and totally needed each others support. since then, we talk/text three to four times a week. Maybe your dream was just your subconscience telling you to call your friend? hopefully...

i can't go to hot doctors. they make me nervous. isn't that weird. i'm never nervous around guys, but a hot doctor totally makes me lose my shit. once they put their hands on me (u know, to listen to my heart beat or something) i break out into a sweat =)

Stella said...

I really should amend this....

My doctor isn't hot he's BEAUTIFUL! I had googled him, as I do with any new doctor I see to make sure he or she hasn't been arrested for cutting off the wrong limb or something, and he looked kinda nerdy and short. So I just went with that- he had the credentials and was highly recommended. He walked into the exam room and I stopped breathing for a moment. I don't think handsome describes him. He's not even my "type". I'm much more of a darker type but his blond hair and blue...woohoo!

Luna-I hope that's what it is. I can't really contact him or I've tried and it hasn't worked. There are extenuating circumstances, ie- his wife doesn't like me. (Long story, we used to date, were friends, she's jealous, etc.) But I think I may ask someone who I know is close to his family to check on him for me. I am kind of thinking that maybe it's sign that something else could have gone wrong or something. I may actually post more about this later because I talked about this with a friend and it was interesting the things we came up with!

Kellan said...

I'm glad your year is starting out so good - it's nice to have things go smoothly. My year won't really get started until the kids get back in school next week - until then, I'm sort of in New Year limbo. Take care. Kellan

Kelley said...

He he he. I had a hot doctor once. He did my breast exam. I couldn't go back after that *snigger*

I love your last day before returning to work. Darn sight better than mine yesterday. I was glad to get to work today!

design by