Sunday, February 24, 2008

We're Starting to See the Sun

I'm so tired. My son is so tired. We are very near the edge of the forest and we are beginning to see the sun.

We are home. We're out of the hospital. It has been a rough couple of weeks, especially for our little man. He is SUCH a trooper. The boy still has the pneumonia and will for awhile. We have plenty of medicine to keep it at bay and eventually "kill" the mangy disease and we're keeping our boy hydrated with juice boxes, milkshakes, beer...whatever we can get into him! ;)

When I first graduated from college I was working at a large restaurant company in their purchasing department and as their marketing manager. Part of my job was to handle all of the PR and charity work that the company did. While there, the hospital we were in, Goryeb Children's Hospital, was just opening. Our company was a major contributor for a number of reasons, but mainly because it was a really good cause. As part of our contribution we went into the hospital and toured the center and provided food and drinks for the staff. I can remember walking through the hospital and just being in awe of the amazing center they had created to help children. I was in awe of the wonderful accommodations for parents whether it was in the PICU or the inpatient ward or in the day hospital where kids would be seen by doctors but not admitted. Everything was about making the hospital experience as easy and not scary as possible. The center is just amazing. The staff is just amazing. We toured the inpatient unit and there were a handful or patients at that point, mainly cancer patients. I can vividly remember thinking that if, God forbid, my future children were ever sick I would want them here. But in the back of my mind I never ever thought we would need the hospital. Maybe the emergency room but it never occurred to me that my child could be admitted to the hospital. I never thought it would ever become a reality.

Wednesday it became a reality. Wednesday, really a few days before that, my oldest child became one of 2% that develops this serious complication from the surgery he had. Wednesday I walked into the private room on the inpatient unit of the Goryeb Children's hospital behind my son's stretcher and thought that no 3 year old in the world should ever have to see the inside of a hospital room. Wednesday we stepped into the environment that would be our "home" for the next few days and would help to bring our son back on the road to better.

The ward was full. There were children who were sicker than our little guy. There were kids there for chemo and other cancer treatments. There were kids that may not have left the hospital in weeks or months. Yet even with all of that "sadness" the ward was a happy type of place to be. It was warm and inviting. The staff, the doctors, nurses, techs, everyone was wonderful. Each of them treated our little guy like he was their only patient and the most important person in their day. We received top care. We received care that was intelligent and well informed. I knew that I could trust every medical professional that entered our room. I knew that what they were doing was helping our little guy get back to healthy. I knew they were making him better and for that I am eternally grateful.

I never thought I'd end up in the hospital with my children. I certainly never expected it to be my son if we did. I thought for sure I'd be in a hospital room with our preemie daughter at some point but that has not been the case. My son is recovering and he's doing great. He's still pretty weak and tired, as anyone would be. He's drinking juice boxes, which is a HUGE accomplishment. He's blowing bubbles to help work out his lungs. He's getting better day by day. We have our rough moments but the care that we have received lets me know that the rough moments will be getting less and less as the days go by.

I have to say something about your kindness and support...
We are not strangers because really we know many of each other's deepest thoughts and feelings because of our words on our blogs but in many ways we are strangers. Most of us have never met in person. Most of us never will. So many of you have been so supportive and kind with your words and thoughts. You have left comments anywhere and everywhere to let me know that you're thinking of us and that has meant so much to us. Thank you from the very deepest of my heart, I cannot tell you how much your words have meant to us. It is very reassuring to know that there are so many people out there who barely know us that are thinking of us and praying for us. It worked! Thanks!


Kelly said...

Oh honey, this post made me happier than anything I had read all week. Hugs to you and your family.
All my love and hope for a speedy final recovery!

LunaNik said...

Yeah!! So glad things are improving!!! This is great news...

The MomBabe said...

Glad he's home and getting better! Hugs to you guys for the next couple of days. ♥♥♥

OHmommy said...

"Oh Mr Sun, sun, Mr Golden sun."

You should find that song somewhere and pump up to volume. Have the kiddos listen too.

I am so glad to hear you guys are out. Mwah!

Huckdoll said...

Much love and major ((((hugs))))

melissa said...

I happened upon your blog and skimmed a few posts. This one hit home and I wanted to offer you some hope. My son had many scary episodes and middle-of-the-night-hospital trips during his first 3 years. He is four, recently four, and it all seems to be fading. He is, dare I say, growing out of his asthma/reactive airways. The doctors said that he might and it seems to have happened. We did not have one episode this winter. Knock on wood. Several months ago, I switched to organic milk after reading some studies on regular milk and its possible influence on asthma...and everything has changed. We can't be sure what the reasons are...but we think the nebulizer is history in this house. I wish the same for you and your family. Try switching the milk and see what happens. Best.

design by